That’s right. Don’t make your kids happy. Why? You’ll end up frustrated and they won’t end up happy. This is because the only one you can truly make happy is yourself. When we try and reach goals which are not within our control, we set ourselves up for frustration. When we do this in a relationship it usually strains the relationship. This is why trying to make our kids happy is frustrating for us and frustrating for our kids.
What you can and should do for your kids is set them up for happiness so it’ll be as easy as possible for them to make themselves happy. You can do this through accepting and practicing a few principles which I discuss in my podcast, Happy Children.
Here are the main principles we must accept about children:
- A child is an independent person, they are not an extension of you.
- You don’t get to choose who your child is.
- You can’t make your child or anyone other than yourself, happy.
- The most important thing your child needs from you is the knowledge that you love them for who they are. This is the single greatest contributing factor you can offer your child toward making them happy.
- Spend more time supporting your children discovering who they are than who they should become.
I’d love to know that you think about the above. Share your comments below.